September 15, 2022

                                                  

FROM THE RECTOR 

Please plan to stay after church on Sunday, September 25 for a discussion on the Vestry's meeting with Tina Pickering, Canon to the Ordinary, last week. We will also discuss some of the questions we need to answer for the search process, so please plan to attend. This will be a time to discuss the direction of St. Andrew's after I retire, and we want your input!

Mark your calendars! The Blessing of the Animals will be held on Sunday, October 2.

A parish-wide Book Study on Part-Time is Plenty, by G. Jeffrey MacDonald will begin on Sunday, October 9 following the 10:00 (or 9:00) service and coffee hour. We'll meet every week for six weeks, as there are six chapters in the book. Dates are October 9, 16, 23, and 30, and November 6 and 13.

I hope you will take part in this important book study as we prepare for the possibility of a part-time rector or Priest-in-Charge.

For those of you who did not get a letter about my upcoming retirement, here is an excerpt with the basic information:

Dear St. Andrew’s Parish Family,

It is with very mixed feelings that I write to tell you that I will retire on December 1, 2022. This is earlier than I had planned, but it is due to a very practical financial planning reason. There is likely to be another significant cost of living adjustment (COLA) for Social Security in 2023. The Church Pension Fund usually follows the Social Security COLA. In order to be eligible for this increase from the Pension Fund I must retire by December 1. It would be short-sighted of me to let this opportunity pass. 

Because this date is earlier than I had anticipated, I asked the Bishop if I could stay on a few months longer on a part time basis, and he has approved this. I told the Vestry I would like to work half time from December – February, which will allow me to be here for Christmas and for the Annual Meeting. It will also allow me to fulfill the commitment I made to you when I was called as rector, to retire after five years, when I will turn 70. The Vestry has approved this, so my last day will be at the end of February.

On the one hand my heart is heavy at the prospect of leaving you. I will miss you all so very much and I will miss being at St. Andrew’s. On the other hand I am excited at the prospect of retirement. As you know, when I had to move out of the house I was renting I bought a home in Rochester as part of my retirement planning, and I’ve settled in nicely. It has felt like home almost from the beginning. As the reality of retirement sets in, I’m looking forward to new opportunities in my life.

It is early yet to know what to expect after I leave, but Tina Pickering, Canon to the Ordinary and Transition Officer for the Diocese, will meet with the Vestry on September 18. More will be known at that time and will be shared with you. The Vestry will remain in contact with the Diocese and will keep you abreast of any news.

I know that this is surprising to some, and hard news for many. I also know that God is with this faithful community and will guide you and bless you with opportunities to grow in amazing new ways! You are a vibrant, caring and healthy parish, and your future is bright!

With love and gratitude,

Caroline 

SUNDAY MORNING WORSHIP

JOIN US FOR WORSHIP 
This Sunday - September 18, 2022
 Two Services at 8:00 AM & 10:00 AM

The service at 8 AM will be in person and the 10AM service will be in person as well as livestreamed via Zoom and Facebook Live.

Email RectorSAITV@gmail.com for Zoom meeting information or
visit Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/standrewsinthevalleytamworth/

AND...
JOIN US FOLLOWING THE SERVICE FOR



READINGS FOR SUNDAY
Sunday September 18, 2022
The Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost 

The Collect of the Day
Grant us, Lord, not to be anxious about earthly things, but to love things heavenly; and even now, while we are placed among things that are passing away, to hold fast to those that shall endure; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

    The First Reading              Jeremiah 8:18-9:1

    Psalm                                 Psalm 113                          

    The Second Reading          1 Timothy 2:1-7   

  The Holy Gospel                 Luke 16:1-13    

  Click below to see all the readings: 
              
LAY MINISTRY SCHEDULE


 PIE SALE

2nd Annual SAITV Pie Sale

 Saturday, 10/8   8:30a – 1:30pm



     Plans are well underway for St. Andrew’s 2nd Annual Pie Sale!  This year the event will be held at the Church due to limited space at the Tamworth Farmers’ Market.

     A sign-up sheet is available in the Parish Hall…. please sign up!  Along with the sign-up sheet, this Sunday (9/18) there will be a stack of 9” pie plates available for the taking.  There are plain, fluted, regular and deep dish—help yourself and happy baking! Last year we ran out of blueberry and apple pies, but any pie you wish to donate is greatly appreciated.  If you are unable to sign up at the Church, feel free to call either Tina or Lin.

     Other attractions being planned for the day include the guest appearance of the mystery Pumpkin Person!  Also, face painting will be offered for the youngsters (or the young-at-heart!).

     More details will be forthcoming as we firm them up….stay tuned and start looking through those recipes!

Tina (603-307-8549) and Lin (603-323-0402)                       

PRAYERS FOR EACH OTHER

This Week We Pray for:

Health and Wholeness:

ParishCarolyn, Judy, Grace, Jim, Sue, Joan, Elizabeth, Grete, Steve, Gabriele and Bob

Family and FriendsMegan, Alec, John, Angela, Gary, Grace, Dick, Tracy, Jan & George, Carolyn, Jack, Laurie, Alexa, Chris,30pm Lyse, Margaret, Melody, Peg, Curt, Sharon, Mary

Birthdays: Pat Scarborough 9/21


Anniversaries:  Kathy & Alan Bunker  9/20


Please let the Parish Office know if you would like to add or remove someone 

on the prayer list. Thank you.


COMMUNITY FOOD CENTER
COMMUNITY FOOD CENTER
The Food Pantry thanks you for your contributions throughout the year.
Food pantry continues to serve the communities needs with new hours.
Alternating Wednesdays
11am-3pm 
                                                                                                                                                                                     September 28 & October 12

                           Any questions please call 603-960-4067.   

INVITATION FROM DEB HOYT                                                                                              
COMMUNITYFOOD CENT

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

                                                 In centering prayer my mind kicks in,

wanders, thinks, does its thing.
Even if it's a thought about how wonderful God is,
it's a thought, a calculation. Not pure awareness.
I let go of it, and return
to simply being present for God.
That moment of return is repentance.
And it's a source of delight for God.
Not mere satisfaction, as in a debt paid,
but rejoicing, as in a hope fulfilled, a gift received.
Imagine that—God delighted every time I turn around,
every time I release a resentment,
every moment I open the door of my heart to grace.
How could God be angry with our sin
when she is so constantly delighted?

                                                                                            Steve Garnaas-Holmes

                                                                                            Unfolding Light