August 22, 2019


JOIN US FOR WORSHIP
THIS SUNDAY, August 25th, the 11th Sunday after Pentecost, there will be two services of at 8:00 and 10:00 a.m.


Tuesdays at 5:00 p.m.

 Wednesday mornings at 9:00 a.m.

WE HOPE YOU WILL JOIN US FOR WORSHIP
and FELLOWSHIP

READINGS FOR SUNDAY
Sunday, August 25th
Pentecost 11, Proper 16
Isaiah 58:9b-14
Psalm 103:1-8
Hebrews 12:18-29
Luke 13:10-17



FROM THE RECTOR

I’m just back from a two week “stay-cation” that I thoroughly enjoyed. I had numerous projects around the house and yard that I’d been putting off and caught up on all of them! My house is in better shape than it’s been in quite a while, and there’s nothing like that feeling of accomplishment that comes from completing a long to-do list. I also read a lot, slept late a few times and feel both rested and relaxed – all in all a completely satisfying two weeks. I’m glad to be back, and look forward to being with you both at the steak and lobster dinner and on Sunday morning.



I hope you will be in church on Sunday, at the 10:00 service if possible. We will have a baptism, always such a joyous occasion! This Sunday we will welcome Kenneth Kingston Guymon into the Body of Christ. Kenneth, or “Little Kenny” as he’s known here, is Marti Shedd’s grandson, and her son Kenny’s nephew – thus “Little Kenny.” He and his mother Jen live in Moab, Utah, but have been regular visitors at St. Andrew’s in the last year. Jen wanted to have Kenny baptized here where Marti and Kenny are members and where she has felt so warmly welcomed and accepted by all of you. Please join us in welcoming Kenny into the Body of Christ!

Caroline

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Here in the green forest
I know a presence
bigger than myself,
stronger than
the ponderosa pines.


Here in the whispering forest
I hear a voice
softer than the sighing
of swaying branches.


Here in the dark forest
I see a truth
shining through the boughs,
telling me
I am not alone.
                             - Joyce Rupp
                             Rest Your Dreams on a Little Twig

 PRAYER SHAWL  MINISTRY 

Come join us! Knitting skills not required.
1st and 3rd Wednesday morning at 10:15 a.m.

If you knit or crochet (or would like to learn how to) and are led to engaging in an outreach mission that provides physical and spiritual comfort to those in need, please join us on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of every month at 10:15 AM in the Prince Room. We are a joyous group that will keep you in stitches! The coffee and tea will be on and new members are always welcome. If you have any questions, please call Lin Frank at 323-0402.

 DINNER BELL


COOK TEAMS
for August are:
25th – Lewis
for September are:
1 – NEED A COOK TEAM
8- Rau
15- Salder
22- Friends
29-UUFES

Thank you for your volunteer
work in this special Outreach program!

 COMMUNITY FOOD CENTER- FOOD PANTRY

FOR THE MONTH OF SEPTEMBER
 


 FROM DEB IN THE OFFICE

Working full time had brought it's own challenges to keeping my volunteer jobs. Now I have a family illness that requires my attention and need to step down from my outside volunteer jobs.  I have loved giving my dedication to each of them but need to recognize my limits. I have found a replacement for my Board Chair position with the Emergency Food and Shelter Program and now need to fill my volunteer position as Treasurer for the Community Food Center.  I am hoping to have my replacement in place within the next 4 months before I resign my position January 2020 (or sooner if possible).  Please contact me in the office if you might be interested in helping out and would like more information.  Thank you.

FORWARD DAY BY DAY

THURSDAY, August 22, 2019

Psalm 131:2 I do not occupy myself with great matters, or with things that are too hard for me.

All our lessons today burst with intrigue. There is trouble in David’s court, and Absalom has just been killed. Paul’s imprisonment continues, and the plot thickens. In Mark, Jesus is wrapping up a fraught debate session with those wily priests and scribes.
Jesus tells us over and over that the going is going to get tough, faith-wise. No matter where a person of faith goes, from the most private monastic cell to the largest parish or ecclesiastical office, it is impossible to escape intrigue, debates, and thickening plots. People are people, after all. And even though God loves us, we can be real jerks.

It is a necessary spiritual discipline to resist occupying ourselves with things—or people—we can’t control. The God who made heaven and earth can handle being God; our job is to bask in that truth and let the rest of it go.

MOVING FORWARD: How do you understand the practice of letting go? Is it helpful to you? Why or why not?

BIRTHDAYS & ANNIVERSARIES
If you do not see your birthday or anniversary listed, please make sure Deb in the office has an information sheet on file for you.
  

Birthdays
1   Stephen Hird
6   Kathy Bunker
8    Marty Cloran, Elizabeth Wiesner
15  Bernice Thompson
16  Susan Luz
28   Grete Plender
30   Patti Rau

Anniversaries
15     Dale and David Appleton
25     Dwight & Barbara Baldwin
27     Sammie & Dick Wakefield, Bruce & Claudia Kennedy

PHOTOS





LINKS